February 10, 2007

Pea Pod Progress

I've cast on for the Pea Pod Baby Set using the light blue Paton's Supersoft.

Here's my progress so far:


See my cutie little red car buttons? I'm attatching them as I go to save sewing them on later.


I saw this tip on Knitty Gritty not too long ago. I thought it was a great idea and was really excited to give it a try. This technique can be used for incorporating beads into knitting. But it also works on shank style buttons.

First, you slide the button onto an itty bitty crochet hook. It's upside down here so it will be right side up when I slide it onto the knitting.


Here's the view of the back of the crochet hook. You can see the red shank of this button against the white back.


You knit to the stitch where you want the button to sit. The next stitch up on my LH needle is where this button is going to go.


Using your crochet hook, you remove the stitch from the needle onto the hook.


You then slide the button down the hook and right over the loop of the stitch.


Then place the stitch back onto the LH needle.


Knit the stitch as you normally would. This might be a little tight and fiddly because the button is there now, but just press on.


Now I have four buttons.


This technique works really well on this pattern because the seed stitch button bands are built right in and also because the fronts and back are knit as one piece. So I'm just attaching the buttons on the other end of each button hole row. It should all line up perfectly at the end.