April 25, 2007

Progress and Distraction

Thank you guys for all the encouragement to press on with my cable cardi. I've been working on it a little bit and have made some progress on those pesky sleeves. My biggest concern/problem/hinderance was fear of mangling the shaping of the sleeve cap. Ali very kindly pointed me to this cool knitty article. And Margaret had a brilliant suggestion to put in a lifeline right before starting the cap shaping and then just go for it.

I've gotten right to the point of inserting that lifeline. I knit both sleeves at the same time. These are pictures of just one sleeve, but the other one is exactly the same. Well, not exactly, exactly but that's another story. Not a very good story, though, so I'm not going to tell it. Suffice it to say there's a teeny, tiny, almost imperceptible difference between the sleeves. Mistakes were made and if one were to play the blame game, then Past Jean would be found culpable. But we're not here to point fingers so Present Jean has taken (half-assed) measures to adjust for the difference and feels it's important to just move on now. Hopefully Future Jean won't be pissed at us both for being such slackers.





I used stitch markers to pin it closed then slipped it on my arm to make sure it's wide enough and long enough. I think it is. Theoretically, it'll hit right about at my elbow, which was my general idea way back when.

About three rows ago I realized the cables on the fronts and back turned every sixth row. I've been cabling on the sleeves every fourth row. Whoops! No, no, wait...I don't mean "Whoops", I mean "I meant to do that". Yeah, that's right, it was totally on purpose and fully intentional. See, I really need just to go forward. The likely hood of this sweater getting finished anytime soon is tenuous enough. If I don't allow for some let's say, "quirks", this darn sweater will never get done. Therefore, the cables on the sleeves will continue every fourth row. The fact that it's a mistake will just stay our little secret, 'kay?

So anyway, I'm going to insert that lifeline and then I'm ready to start shaping the sleeve cap.

Do you sense a "but" coming? An explanation for the "Distraction" in the title? You're right! You've got to get up pretty early in the morning to get anything past you folks.



Misti Cotton (83% Peruvian Pima Cotton, 17% Silk, Papaya color) purchased today at A Mano Yarn Center.

This yummy yarn is destined to be this:


This is Valpuri, a free pattern from Berroco. Did I mention it's free? And, c'mon, look how cute!

Tina
, the designer of the Mad Color Weave socks gets the credit for being the enabler who brought this pattern to my attention.

The sleeve caps for my cable cardi are just going to have to wait. Valpuri here I come!