April 15, 2007

Painted Madness

I finally finished the Painted Madness socks (round three pattern from Sock Madness)



Yarn: Lorna's Laces Shepherd Sock, Tuscany colorway
Needles: US 1 (2.25mm) aluminum DPN's
Designer: Tricia Weatherston
Mods: Made 'em smaller. I started with 11 garter stitch points for 66 stitches on the cuff, decreased down to 60 stitches for the ribbing and decreased further down to 56 stitches for the foot. They're pretty short in the foot, too as they will be a gift for a friend who wears size 4.5 shoes! (She's itty bitty. I'm actually worried they'll be too big for her.)
Verdict: This was an enjoyable pattern to make. I found the process of making the cuff very cool. I was worried I wouldn't like the star toe and considered doing a flat toe instead. I'm so glad I did the star toe anyway because it was fun and I like the way it came out. I doubt I'd make these socks for me, but they'll make a great gift. They were an excellent introduction to cuffed socks. My only quibble is that the striping is different on the feet. I'm pretty sure that's somehow my fault, which frankly makes it more bothersome. I'm letting it go, though, because the non-knitting recipient of these will a) mostly likely not notice b) not mind even if she does notice and c) certainly would never complain about it to me.