May 18, 2007

Eye Candy Friday

I had the idea for these dewdrop pictures last week, but didn't have the camera handy at the time. So I have to credit Ruth with beating me to it.

I thought about not posting these at all because I don't want to seem like a copy cat. But then I remembered we all enjoy looking at pictures of the same knitting pattern knit by different people. We each bring a piece of our own personality to everything we do. The different approaches to a pattern (decisions about yarns, colors, buttons, etc) make each knitted garment unique. Even the same yarn and needles in different hands produce different results. This is part of the magic of knitting. We are all individuals and with every stitch (or snap of the shutter) we share our own unique touch.

One of the things I love about knitting is the feeling of connectedness. I love thinking of all the millions of hands over thousands of years who have wrapped yarn around needles and pulled a loop through. All those different people, each with their own amazing story, each producing something unique. By sharing the simple act of using sticks and yarn to create fabric, I am connected to all of them.

I'm not the first person to take pictures of dewdrops gently clinging to flower buds. I'm certainly not the most artistic person to do so. But by sharing these pictures, I'm sharing my individuality and connecting myself to those who have gone before. To me, that is beautiful.









Coming soon: Actual knitting content!