April 23, 2007

FO: Mad Color Weave Socks


Pattern: Mad Color Weave, Round Four of Sock Madness
Designer: Tina Lorin
Yarn: Cherry Tree Hill Supersock in Cabin Fever Colorway
Needles: US 1 (2.25mm) Aluminum DPN's
Mods: Made smaller by using 66 stitches instead of the 74 called for by the pattern. Using the lower stitch count got me a little confused at the heel turn. I just kind of "winged it" while trying to maintain the spirit of the pattern. It worked out just fine.
Verdict: I love them! These were a challenging knit for me (the mini cables down the side were a bit of a fight), but I got into a groove and was having a great time by the second sock. I'm thrilled with the yarn. I like the color even better knit than in the skein. I'm keeping these for myself. In fact, I haven't taken them off my feet since taking that picture. They feel wonderful.
Side Story: The second sock had something of an adventure with me on Friday. I woke up that morning with a sharp, localized pain on the right side of my lower abdomen. That symptom pretty much always means appendicitis. (Except, as you'll see, when it doesn't.) So, the sock spent the day with me in the emergency room. It was excellent hospital knitting. Just complicated enough to distract me from being scared and in pain. Not too complicated that I couldn't keep knitting despite the drugs. Several, unpleasant, probing exams later and the pain was declared not appendicitis or anything else which could pose imminent harm and I was sent home. Almost exactly 24 hours after starting, the pain stopped just as abruptly and randomly. Whatever it was, I'm all better now. And these are my "close call" socks. Can I have a hallelujah?