May 14, 2007

Summer Knitting Goals

Ali is having a fun contest. Ali is a knitting dynamo, an incredibly talented knitwear designer, mother of six and all-around sweetheart. Those reasons alone should have you interested in her blog, her contest is the proverbial icing.

She's giving away copies of this pattern, which she designed. The first place winner will also receive 4 hanks of Blue Sky Dyed Cotton, in any color desired.

Here's how it works:
1. Leave Ali a comment on her blog telling her you'd like to participate in the contest and tell her your color choice. Do me a favor and let her know that I sent you, kay? Thanks!

2. On your blog, write out your summer knitting goals. The way I see it, this step is the prize you get just for playing. I know my knitting plans are always more ambitious than my time allows, no matter how much time I have. If I get more free time, my plans just expand. In all the frenzy and excitement of looking at patterns, trying to design my own patterns, buying yarn, casting on, etc., it's easy for me to lose track of what I really want to accomplish. To meet a goal, the first step is to clearly state the goal. And now Ali's giving us a good reason to do so.

3. Finally, e mail Ali with a link to your post.

You've got the rest of this month to enter.

So here we go with my Summer Knitting Goals:

1. Shawl for Mom. I made the Forest Canopy Shawl for her for Christmas. I held Blue Sky Alpaca and Silk together with Rowan Kidsilk Haze on big needles (US 10's). I repeated the pattern extra times to make it big, cuddly and warm. She loves it so much, she's specifically requested a summer weight shawl. Her birthday is early June, so I'm on a definite deadline for this one. BUT, I haven't picked the yarn or pattern yet! I gots to get crackin'! I'm thinking maybe the Diamond Fantasy Shawl in some sort of cotton or bamboo. I feel like once I find the perfect yarn, choosing the pattern will be easy. Well, gee, sounds like I need to go yarn shopping. You know how I hate that. Ahem.

2. Valpuri for me. I had a false start on this pattern after this post. You see, I...um...didn't swatch. I know, I know, you don't have to look at me in that tone of voice. I actually had some pretty good reasons for not swatching. But then a few variables changed, I got a little cocky and received the knitting smack down I richly deserved. Now that I've already told you the punchline, I'm not sure it matters if I try to justify my behavior. I think I'll save sharing my rationale for another post, because I'm trying to focus on the goals here. And making Valpuri so it actually fits me is a goal.

3. Sweater for Chris. This is started, but not much further along than last time I blogged about it. I'll probably work on this in bits and pieces throughout the whole summer. But I'd like to have it finished by the end of the summer.

4. Baby gift for some neighbors. Their baby is due this summer, I forget exactly when. I think Valerie's contest winning baby sweater might be a really good gift. But to be clear, my goal is simply to knit them something for a baby gift. The exact thing itself might change.

5. I really should finish my Cable Cardi. All that's left is to knit the sleeve caps (yes, that is the most troublesome part for me) then sew it up and affix the buttons. I want to finish it just to freakin' finish it already, ya know?

There are other things that I want to make and other things I'll work on this summer, but these are five things I'm calling summer knitting goals.