March 5, 2008

Cold Hands, Warm Heart

So here's a scenario which has played out numerous times over the last few months at Casa de Golden Purl:

Interior - Chris and I sit side by side at our respective computers.

Chris: (Pauses typing to blow on his hands and rub them briskly together. Glances over at me. Resumes typing.)
Me: (Obliviously, continues blog surfing.)
Chris: (blows on hands.) Are you cold?
Me: Huh? Cold? Nah...I'm comfortable (resumes oblivious blog surfing.)
Chris: Oh, okay. (blows on hands, rubs them briskly together and resumes typing.)

I'm embarrassed to admit how long it took me to figure out that the poor man is cold! He's too sweet and thoughtful to turn up the heat because his pregnant wife says she's comfortable.

When I finally did figure it out, I had to hang my head in shame. What kind of knitter am I to sit idly by while my darling husband's hands are cold? Clearly, this matter needed immediate attention. (Well, as immediate as possible after I finally interpreted those oh-so-subtle signals of blowing on hands and rubbing them together. Bonehead, me.)

Enter Men's Fingerless Gloves.

Knit in the dark brown Japanese merino I picked up at this sale over the summer.

He likes them! And can now resume typing in comfort.

Lookit the blur as his fingers fly over that key board!

(Please don't look too closely at the fact that our computers are still on a folding table.)